script for cleaning up zombie user processes at the end of the day?

john lists.john at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 23:14:23 GMT 2007

Thanks Clay. I appreciate the script. I am going to try this out. But before
I do, I hope you can help me to understand what is going on a little better?
Anyone who feels like chiming in would be quite welcome.

1) basically I think this script is looping through the password db by
calling the program 'getent' and piping the results to awk.

2) Awk is applying a separator : and then something magical happens (what is
$3?) Somehow uids are getting assigned to this variable?

3 Then somehow (related to $3) we look for uids above 999 and pass them to
$1 which will print them to standard output (i.e the tty from which this
script is executed, if executed by hand). Is there more going on here?

4) then the script echos the result of the variable $user and runs 'pgrep
-u' against the expanded variable $user for any gnome-panel and bobono
processes owned by that user

5) the program loops until done.

Sorry, I just like to understand what I am doing before I do it. Will
killing zombie type gnome-panel and bonobo stuff, clean up leftover
processes like firefox, games etc?

TIA!

John