How to modify the startup and splash screens on the thin client.

Paul J. Thompson edubuntu001 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 19:18:07 GMT 2007

Hi,

Yes removing packages is a basic skill and I can manage that :-) however you
do need to know what to remove first, and that is the info that I was
seeking.

However, Oliver put me on the right track. You can install the LTSP packages
into the standard Ubuntu or Xubuntu has them as an install option.
see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPQuickInstall for
installing ltsp ... Which is a least hassle option for what I want to do.

Also (from Oli) to get rid of the splash on all clients, you can modify the
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default file and remove the
"splash" keyword. And before you tell me that removing the splash keyword is
basic knowledge, yes, I know that but I did not know where to look :-).

Unfortunately, every Linux distro seems to put there files in slightly (and
sometimes not so slightly) different places. That kinda messes one around
when you are new to Linux, no matter long you have been involved in IT. In
my case 16 years but on mianframes.

I post this here so that if anyone else is looking for this info one day
they will find it when they follow this thread.

Regards,

Paul Thompson