Using gigabit NIC and switch with 100Mbps clients doesn't work

Scott Ledyard scott at redboot.biz
Thu Jan 4 02:22:54 GMT 2007

I've searched for past posts here at edubuntu-users, but have not found this
question.
It's suggested that the server connect using a gigabit NIC to a gigabit
switch port. I've installed Edubuntu 6.10 accordingly and find that clients
cannot connect successfully. The NIC works fine when used with a 100Mbps
switch. The gigabit switch (D-Link DGS-2208) seems to work well in other
situations. The client is an old IBM PC 300GL using a Intel 10/100 Intel
NIC.
When the thin client boots (using Ethreboot so the boot dialog displays) is
can see that the server has assigned the thinclient the IP of
192.168.0.250then it displays:
Running /scripts/init-btom... Done.
Then it waits for about 60 seconds and displays [ 103.939343] nfs: server
192.168.0.254 not responding, still trying.
This repeats every 15 seconds or so. If I replug both the server and
thinclient into a 100Mbps switch EVEN DURING this time, all works well.
Has anybody seen this behavior before? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Scott