edubuntu-users Digest, Vol 9, Issue 14

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 10:08:44 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> On Do, 2007-02-22 at 13:14 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
>
> should indeed be prefixed by sudo, sorry:
>
> sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

Should've guessed this.

A follow-up question.  I would like to create some description of "kiosk"
web access user.  I had a simple way of doing this in the past by placing
firefox in the user's .xsession.  This meant that we could tell everyone
the kiosk username/password and if they logged in, they just got firefox.
It wasn't that secure, but it was enough of a barrier.

Since edgy, ldm now has a drop-down box allowing the user to choose their
session type, which means they can explicitly choose gnome and get around
the .xsession entry.  It's not a disaster, but certain students like to
mess things about, so I'd like to avoid them using a full gnome session in
this instance as they can mess things up to a degree that it's not really
usable by the next person.

Ideally, this setting should apply to the kiosk account, wherever it's
used.  In general though, that account is mainly used on a few machines so
I guess if I can do it per machine that would be enough.

Is there a straightforward way to do this?  I guess I could change ldm to
just disable the session chooser.