Thin client configuration problems

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 17:37:56 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, DB Clinton wrote:

> Nothing at all came in. I noticed that the ip addresses on the Windows
> machines ( 169.254.186.66 and 169.254.158.136) seemed to have been set by
> the Win2K machine and not my Linux box (which was running first). Also,
> their subnet was 255.255.0.0 as opposed to mine which is 255.255.255.0
> I'm not sure if that's significant.

Those are IP addresses you get assigned when DHCP fails (as it has been for
the thin clients).

> I actually uninstalled Firestarter completely.

Good idea for now.

> Now that's not easy (lying on the floor underneath my desk while
> reaching up and hitting enter on the keyboard).

Linux's ping command should keep pinging once a second until you say stop.

> But, in any case, I got uneven results: I think I saw
> flashing on what should be eth1 (the card connected to the LAN) one of the
> times but certainly not every time I pinged 192.168.0.254

You need to be certain.  If it's working, you should see consistent flashes
once per second.

>  and pinging my ppp0 address (which goes through eth1) produced
> some flashing, but there are flashed every few seconds on that card anyway.

ppp0 goes through eth1 as well?  Why?  Are you running pppoe over the same
interface as the thin clients?  That _may_ work I'm not sure, but either
way it sounds like a recipe for a complicated mess.  Is eth0 not available?

> If you can't ping the linux machine from windows and see the icmp packets
> > on the tcpdump, I'd be inclined to say there's something wrong with the
> > network or something very strange wrong with the linux machine.
>
> The two windows computers now access each other but not my Linux
> "server". I'm going to boot into Windows myself to confirm
> that it's connected that way.

Of course they won't, the windows machines don't have addresses on the
192.168.0.0/24 network so they won't have any idea how to ping machines
that are on it (they'll try the default gateway, which will fail).  They
are on a 169. network together so they'll see each other, but that's not
how you want things.

Your DHCP is not working and machines dhcp requests are apparently not
reaching eth0 on the server.  You can try setting 192.168 addresses on the
windows machines but I don't think there's connectivity between the server
and the clients (or else perhaps the pppoe is messing it up).