User Login Password Change not Applying (7.04)

Mike White mwhite at bradshawchristian.com
Fri Dec 21 17:22:53 GMT 2007

Gentlemen, thank you for your help. It got me started. I am still
investigating everything that has been suggested to me. Here is an
update. I was able to delete /home/student9. Yet I getting frustrated
trying to re-create the folder and/or the user. When I went into Users
and Groups and tried to add student9, it would not 'save' the user. The
logs showed no attempt to create a user. Almost like my efforts didn't
exist. Please don't analyze that from a tech standpoint.

It finally worked when, while adding student9 again, I made it a member
of a LabStudents group and chose a new password that I have never
attempted in the lab before. I don't know if it was the grouping or the
different password that changed Edubuntu's mind. I would be interested
in explanations, but it's not necessary. I may yet understand.

Again, I'm still looking at the other suggestions because there are some
good questions raised in view of possibly future issues. For now, Merry
Christmas.

Michael White
Technology Coordinator
mwhite at bradshawchristian.com