Is Gnome the right DE for students?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Dec 20 15:28:37 GMT 2007

I've been experiencing the "Nautilus using 100% CPU" problem -- along
with issues where a user logs in and Gnome says something about not
being able to load the theme, and various applets not starting.

Yesterday, I logged in an my top and bottom panels loaded, but the
desktop background was black with no icons and going to any "Places"
failed to open Nautilus.  That didn't resolve until after re-booting
both the clients *and* the server.

Do you think using, say, Xfce would solve many of these problems?

Are there features of using the Gnome DE that Xfce doesn't offer that
your students require?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org