Clients Freezing in 7.04 when Tuxpaint, Tuxmath or Gcompris are running.

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 08:53:23 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, kevin smith wrote:

> > When you say it crashes, the entire thin client locks up, right?  Does it
> > reboot, can you press <ctrl><alt><F1> and get a console or is the entire
> > machine locked.  If you press the caps lock key, does the light come on?
> > Can you reproduce this without sound?
>
> I will check when I get into work tomorrow, but I know that often i am
> able to restart x with <ctrl><alt><Backspace>, but I have been told by
> the "soldiers on the ground" that this does not always solve the
> problem, and occasionally a complete reboot of the client is
> necessary.

Do you think you can reproduce the problem on demand?  If you can, we can
hopefully put together some tests to see what's happening.   Running
xrestop might be interesting in case there is some sort of video memory
leak.  You can install xrestop using the package manager.  You can then
either run it interactively while running say tuxpaint or pipe it to a
file, running something like:

xrestop -b | grep -A 15 Tux  >outputfile.txt

which should filter out the programs with Tux in their name.  If you see
the "total bytes" field growing noticeably, that might be a cause of
problems.  In my brief trials though, there's very little X server memory
used by tuxpaint and tuxmath.

If you could detail the hardware (video card, video ram, cpu, ram) of one
or two affected thin clients that might well be useful, particularly if it
happens more on one client than another.