XServer out of memory issues

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 21:56:59 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:09:01 -0500, Todd O'Bryan wrote
> > Does anyone have contacts at OO.o they could mention this to? If we
> > just had a way to prevent applications from trying to cache stuff in
> > video RAM that they don't need to, about 80% of my thin client
> > crashing problems would be solved.
>
> Well, I have a "shim" file somewhere written by a user on the xorg
> mailing list.  Jim McQuillan (likely a good source :-) recommended
> against such a hack because it is a very sloppy solution.  Basically the
> shim script is used to call on the application and then dumps the cache
> data for the app since the app doesn't have the capability.  If you want
> to play around with it let me know and I'll send it to you.  I did try it
> to launch firefox and it worked pretty well, but I never tried it with
> OpenOffice.  Even though it isn't a good solution, it might get you by
> until a good one is found.

Could you post it (maybe make sure the originator doesn't mind)?   Perhaps
a few of us could package up the sloppy solution for people who need it
badly.  I wouldn't suggest it become part of edubuntu, but it might be
useful for some people to have the fix.  Perhaps we should also have the
patched firefox-3 version.

That bugzilla entry on firefox seems to have gone silent.