XServer out of memory issues

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 21:09:01 GMT 2007

Does anyone have contacts at OO.o they could mention this to? If we
just had a way to prevent applications from trying to cache stuff in
video RAM that they don't need to, about 80% of my thin client
crashing problems would be solved.

Todd

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:57:35 -0500, Todd O'Bryan wrote

> Any progress on the issue of Firefox and OpenOffice trying to cache
> images in the thin client memory and then dying that Jim Kronebusch
> identified a while ago?
>
> I'm still seeing an awful lot of terminal crashes. During my planning
> period today, a student was working on an Impress presentation and,
> after the third crash, finally complained about it. I sent him to work
> on the monitor connected to the server and his problems, as expected,
> went away. Fixing this would make my students' complaints about "Why
> don't we have Windows machines?" go down considerably.
>
> Todd

Firefox, yes, but you won't see that until FF3 is released.
OpenOffice, no.  The only
fix right now is the XRAMPERC hack which I think is included in Gutsy,
which only fixes
the client from crashing, but you still loose the offending
application data.  I never
did get to filing a bug with OpenOffice, if you wanted to do that it
would be a good
start.  Xorg still thinks this is an impossible problem to solve,
somehow making it not
their problem.  And unfortunately all these issues are only seen with
thin clients,
making the focus less a priority.  Not that they aren't there in fat
clients, just not
noticed since the machine doesn't lock up.

I think the OLPC guys were hammering on Xorg for this as well.  I was
hoping since they
are a fairly large project they might have better luck. Ubuntu is
large as well, but
thin clients aren't the focus.  Where OLPC only runs in a low resource
environment, so
it is there complete focus.

Jim