Secondary DHCP configuration question

Harry Sweet hsweet at gcsny.org
Wed Dec 12 15:43:08 GMT 2007

You probably do not want the clients to see both DHCP servers!

Think about your topology.  If the clients can only connect to the edubuntu
server physically they will not be a conflict because they do not connect to the corporate server, only LTSP.

client-----(eth1)---Edubuntu---(eth0)------The rest of the network-------------Gateway, Router, world......

Make sure that your DHCP is only serving eth1 (in this example) or your network administrator
will be very, very mad at you : )

We've set up a simple system with a $12 Ethernet switch so we can choose which DHCP server to connect
our lab to.

>>> "Timothy Boyden" <tboyden at supercoups.com> 12/12/2007 9:18 AM >>>
Sorry if I'm repeating questions here, haven't figured out a good way to
search the archives...

My office is part of a larger corporate network infrastructure and we do
not have control over the network DNS settings. Is there a way to
configure the Edubuntu DHCP server or the clients to to talk directly to
the Edubuntu server? My clients successfully get the boot loader but are
not able to mount the root file system and it appears when I press
ctrl-alt-F1 that the two DHCP servers are fighting. My current
DHCPD.conf is below:

ddns-update-style none;
not authoritative;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
option domain-name "supercoups.local";
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 10.100.54.255;
option routers 10.100.54.9;
option domain-name-servers 10.100.54.9;
next-server 10.100.54.9;
option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
shared-network ltsp {
subnet 10.100.54.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
}
}
#
# Netboot Clients