dual boot

francois Barillon francois.barillon at free.fr
Mon Dec 3 22:52:03 GMT 2007

Le lundi 03 décembre 2007 à 20:28 +0000, norman a écrit :
> I am new to the use of Edubuntu, although I have used Ubuntu since it
> started, and I am trying to set up a desktop computer for my
> granddaughter, who is 9 years old.
>
> The first thing I did was to make sure that Edubuntu would install and
> run satisfactorily, which it did in every respect. Next, I decided that
> it would probably be advantageous to dual boot and as I had Windows XP
> Pro decided to use that.
>
> This is when my troubles started. I assumed that during the installation
> of XP the drive would be formatted and Edubuntu would be removed and
> then Edubuntu could be installed to complete the dual boot. However, I
> could not install Windows XP probably because of the remnants of the
> MBR. I think I dealt with that and, eventually, obtained a working
> install of XP. Edubuntu was installed again without any problem and all
> hardware and software worked satisfactorily.
>
> On booting, the menu was obtained with the various options and selecting
> Edubuntu gave a working set up. However, when Windows XP was selected it
> gave the dreaded blue screen with the error message 'UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT
> VOLUME'. I tried chkdsk /r and got the message that there were several
> unrepairable problems.
>
> I am tempted to go back to square one and install Edubuntu without
> Windows XP but would prefer a dual boot set up. Can any one please
> advise me on what I should do next in order to be able to achieve the
> objective.

I don't know where you are in your tests but I think you could :

- use a live CD with a partitionning program and create
  1. NTFS partitioning
  2. Free space

- install Win XP

- install Edubuntu in the free space (Worksation option, I think you
won't use ltsp fonction).

There are ways to install Linux without touching the MBR but I don't
think it would be necessary in your situation.

Hope this could help.

François