New server advice - quad core any special settings needed?

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:27:56 BST 2007

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Krsnendu dasa wrote:

> > 64-bit edubuntu should probably give you better performance, but if you
> > need flash and java, you're probably better off using 32-bit with the
> > server kernel to give you use of the full available RAM.
>
> Do you have to choose SMP option or anything like that to take
> advantage of the quad cores?

My understanding it that you just have to have an SMP-enabled kernel to use
all cores.  As multicore cpus are so common now, the "-generic-" kernel
installed by default is SMP-enabled as far as I know.  There are "-server-"
and "-server-bigiron-" kernels available, which give you some extra
abilities like being able to use large amounts of RAM (more than about 3GB
on a 32-bit machine/kernel), etc.  You should probably only use those if
you need them though.