Postfix setup

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Aug 14 15:48:22 BST 2007

> >1. You can connect and send mail on localhost port 25.
> >   - Postfix is at least running on localhost
> I can connect to port 25 on localhost from localhost, but sending mail
> does not work using alpine.

> >3. You can connect by name to port 25 from your mail server, but you get
> > "relaying denied".  This should be fixed by the "mynetworks" line above.
> >  - you should check that.
> Works now using mail.misilo in the alpine config, but mail still does
> not ever get out.

The addition of your fqdn to your servers /etc/hosts file pointing to your servers IP
will probably help here.  I think both problems under 1 and 3 are related to names
resolving to external IP addresses.  Modify your hosts files manually, or build an
internal DNS server and point the internal machines to it.

> >2. Although your mail server can't reach external mail servers to deliver.
> >   - can you telnet to port 25 on remote mail servers from your server?
> Nope I cannot telnet the gmail mail host that was said earlier.

Probably not a "good" practice, but when I test servers I open all ports through the
firewall to that machine.  Once all software has tested as working, I then close
unwanted ports.  Then when things break I know it is a firewall setting, but this allows
me to test without the worry of firewall interference.

If cranking things wide open for testing isn't an option then be sure to open TCP and
UDP for 25 both ways on the firewall.

Also when configuring any mail clients not listed in mynetworks to enable smtp
authentication.