Postfix setup

Tom Misilo tmisilo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 13:44:49 BST 2007

Thanks for the replies.

I am trying to use cyrus to handle the pop3/imap requests.

> You don't say if you're sending mail from the local computer or not.  If
> you are, you'd need to use "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" as your outgoing mail
> server (not the machine's name).  If it's from another computer, you
> probably need to add that computer's ip address or a range of ip addresses
> to the relay allowed list by reconfiguring again.

I am sending mail from the localhost using alpine. setting it to
localhost fixed that error. but when I tail the mail.log file this is
what I get

Aug 14 08:34:15 linus postfix/smtp[13788]: C4B5598131:
to=<xxxxxxxx at gmail.com>, relay=none, delay=214, delays=64/0.07/150/0,
dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to
alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[72.14.215.114]: Connection timed out)

I still cannot "telnet mail 25" from another computer on network. But
it works fine if I run it on the server.  Any suggestions? Also, would
I be better of using another piece of software instead of cyrus?

Thanks for the help!

Tom