Is local dev support enabled by default under Feisty?

Scott Balneaves sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca
Sat Aug 11 03:50:45 BST 2007

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 03:52:33PM -0700, john  wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have deployed Edubuntu 7.04 and realized that users can't use  thumb
> drives. They don't show up on the desktop , nor when I do "lspci" or
> do "mount"

Are you running a stock Edubuntu with the Gnome desktop?  And have you added
the users who you want localdevices to work with into the fuse group?

> Because of the amount of memory  I am using with this system (8 Gigs)
> I am using the "linux-image-server" kernel rather than the stock
> kernel shipped with edubuntu.
>
> Is this the problem?

No, shouldn't be.

> If so what is the path to resolution? I assume
> that I need to compile in support or should I follow the method used
> in LTSP 4.2 to enable audio
> http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LTSP-42-LocalDev#Overview
> I'd appreciate some pointers if you have any.

Should work "Out of the box" if the users have been added to the fuse group.

Check that first, we can take other steps after that if there's still a problem.

> Finally, it seems like folks are really starting to ramp up their
> Edubuntu/LTSP installations in a big way would it make sense to have
> an edubuntu kernel that takes into account the fact that folks are
> going to be using more robust systems with more than 4 Gigs of ram?

There is one: the linux-image-server image.  Keep in mind that people use
Edubuntu all over the world, and for now, the default of the standard kernel
will support far more systems.  And for the lucky ones that have more, the
problem's easy to solve.  It should, however, be documented in the handbook.
I'll look at adding it this go-round.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "Eternity is a very long time,
Systems Department |  especially towards the end."