pre configuration of OpenOffice

john lists.john at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 17:25:29 BST 2007

Hi Phillipp,

A lack of a master config or a "apply for all users" switch for OO is
a major fault with OO in my opinion. I've ended up creating a template
instance of OO with all the correct settings and then brute force
copying it over the top of user settings at log in. This means they
can't save any personal settings for OO, but I haven't found a better
way yet. Maybe someone else here can give us a better method. Below is
a snippet that I put into the file /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default to
accomplish the task:

#creates the directories ahead of time so that the following scripts
always have a place to go, otherwise you have to wait until the user
opens and closes OO once
sa=/home/STUDENTS/$u/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/
sw=/home/STUDENTS/$u/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/
sy=/home/STUDENTS/$u/.openoffice.org2/

mkdir -p $sa
mkdir -p $sw

#copies msformats from template file to users home directory, but only
works after #OO has been opened once

cp -f /var/oofficeDefaults/Setup.xcu
/home/STUDENTS/$u/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu

cp -f /var/oofficeDefaults/Common.xcu
/home/VANGUARD/$u/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu

chown -R $USER $sy

What a messy kludge!

HTH,

John