some questions

Scott Balneaves sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca
Fri Aug 3 17:18:50 BST 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 09:46:48AM +0100, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> Perhaps ldm could call one or more external lpoptions scripts on the server
> which would reduce the amount of code in ldm and allow us to separate that
> logic out allowing an admin to modify it if necessary.  I guess there are
> potentially lots of complex cases (eg. an admin might want to apply a
> default printer depending on the user's group and/or the thin client) so a
> separate script might make sense, though I think ldm would need to call it.

No mods to LDM2 are needed to make this work.  Such is the beauty of our
cunning design! :)

This is a rough outline, you'll have to fill in some bits, however:

#
# Script to set up lpoptions.
#

#
# Read in full set of ltsp client variables
#

eval `getltscfg -a`

if [ "x$DEFAULT_PRINTER" != "x" ]; then
   ssh -S ${LDM_SOCKET} ${LDM_SERVER} "lpoptions -d ${DEFAULT_PRINTER}"
fi

You'd put this in the new rc scripts directory for ldm2.

Please note, that there's nothing magical about ltsp variables.  Users
are free to create variables on the fly, and via the new rc system,
induce whatever behaviours they want.

This, of course, doesn't change my conviction that this shouldn't
be our problem to solve.  However, like I say, working with LTSP,
I've long grown used to coding around the shortcomings of other
packages.  :)

Hence, the reason for the rc system.

Cheers,
Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "Eternity is a very long time,
Systems Department |  especially towards the end."