Problem with Edubuntu 7.04 shutdown

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 11:16:34 BST 2007

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, David Ally wrote:

> Edubuntu 7.04 does not shutdown on my server, has anybody experience this
> and is there any fix yet? It just hang on the shutdown screen and does
> not respond unless you shutdown from the power switch.

I've seen it a lot on thin clients -- you press the shutdown screen in the
bottom left corner and the machine appears to freeze (though it actually
just didn't manage to blank the screen during shutdown).  Seems that linux
can't completely power down some machines (win2k has similar problems with
quite a few machines).

If you mean it gets right to the end of the shutdown sequence, disks are
unmounted and you just need to power it off, this is possibly the same
situation and it's not dangerous -- I'd expect it to be an old piece of
hardware.  In the days before acpi, one could frequently fix this by doing
	sudo modprobe apm
to load the apm power management tool.  Though I suspect you need to remove
all the acpi stuff first nowadays.