Cross Arch PowerPC Kernel Panic

Craig Szymanski cszymanski at berlinschools.org
Wed Apr 25 12:28:20 BST 2007

Hello,
I have been looking for a solution to this all day and thought I would
seen if anyone had some help. I am running an Edgy ltsp-server on an
i386 machine. We have tons of bondi blue imacs that we are looking to
retire this summer. I woudl rather include keep them as thin clients. I
followed the instructions here...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPCrossArchSetup
I used the edgy edubuntu livecd and booted from a g5 powermac(not the
same one I am trying to use as a client).
I added a reservation for the imac in my dhcp server(I got most of this
from the ltsp wiki)...
host imactest {
        hardware ethernet 00:30:65:7a:0a:c2;
        fixed-address 192.168.0.198;
        filename "yaboot";
        option vendor-class-identifier "AAPLBSDPC";
        option vendor-encapsulated-options
01:01:02:08:04:01:00:00:01:82: 05:
69:6d:61:63:34;
        option root-path "192.168.0.254:/opt/ltsp/powerpc";
        }

I copied the kernel over to the server from the livecd client to the
server...
cp -r /var/lib/tftpboot/yaboot /opt/ltsp/
cp -r /var/lib/tftpboot/yaboot.conf /opt/ltsp/
cp -r /var/lib/tftpboot/powerpc/* /opt/ltsp/powerpc

The problem is when I boot from the open firmware (CMD+ALT+O+F) with
"boot enet:192.168.0.254,yaboot" it loads the initial kernel screen fine
but after about 20 seconds of loading it fails with this...
No filesystem could mount root, tried: cramfs
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(1,0)

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig