edubuntu login problem

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 24 12:09:47 BST 2007

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 24.04.2007, 09:14 +0200 schrieb Uwe Geercken:
> now if I am on the remote system and then switch to the console using CTRL-F2
> (so I am using the non-graphical login), then no one can log in?
>
> the machines are next to each other hooked up to the same switch. no firewall is
> running (yet).
>
> is there a reason for this behaviour? or is this a question of settings?
yes, the reason is the design of LTSP :)
if a thin client boots, it only starts the kernel, configures the
necessary settings to briong up a graphical interface and brings this
interface up ... then it starts an login manager in exactly this
interface which opens a session on the server after login.

in the console on a thin client you would only be able to log in to the
system that is the bottom layer for the login manager. this system has
by default no enabled accounts at all (not even root) since it is only
used for booting up and managing the hardware.

ciao
	oli