Problems with Chinese caracters input in KDE applications

Andrew Bell buionjo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 05:48:42 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 00:42 -0700, guillermo wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'am wondering why I can't type Chinese tradional
> characters in KDE applications such as kate and others
> like that. In gnome applications there is no problem,
> I'm using SCIM. I have installed Edubuntu 6.06, Dapper
> Drake.
>
> The programs that I developed for my classroom are KDE
> applications and there is no way how to input Chinese
> characters.
>
> I suppose that I need to install some aditional
> packages.
> I will apreciated very much any advise on this
> subject.
>
> Regards
> Guillermo

I don't use any KDE apps so I don't know how helpful I'll be, but I'll
try.

When I was setting up SCIM I found many different instructions on
various websites, none of them worked for me. It would only work in some
apps, if you have an english session and can type chinese in open office
you have probably got it setup as good as you can, if not this is how I
got it working.

I eventually RTFM, it does have a good description of what is happening
and some examples (sorry, I'm on  a debian system at the moment, can't
remember if the documentation is in the same place in ubuntu).

$ less /usr/share/doc/scim/README.Debian.gz

I used this command from that file, from what I understand it makes all
everything get it's input from SCIM all the time, ever since it's been
working fine for me, but as I said, I don't have any KDE programs.

# im-switch -z all_ALL -s scim

If have scim fully working and it still doesn't work in your apps, I
know there is another program called skim (the same thing as scim but
for KDE) you might have some more luck with that, but I've never had the
need to install it.

Andrew