Leftover processes after users log out

Eduwijs beheer (Michiel) michiel at eduwijs.nl
Tue Apr 3 10:36:53 BST 2007

Hello Gavin,

I also saw this post on the mailinglist:
http://www.mail-archive.com/edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com/msg00537.html
which also contains a script which can be executed by a cron-job. It
works, so the scripting part won't be a problem.

But I find it rather strange that something like this happens. Because
the programs are started as child of gnome-session, gnome-session itself
should take care of the rest, right? So when the gnome-session gets a
SIGTERM, it should kill it's child along with it, right?

Well, I see now, that gnome-session doesn't create childs, but that
gnome-panel and other processes are created as seperated processes. So
they are not childs (saw it with "ps fax"). But anyway, gnome-session
does take care of your session, so he needs to kill the rest with it, right?

Greetings,

Michiel

--
Michiel Eghuizen