cupsys problems

Scott Balneaves sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca
Thu Sep 28 19:30:43 BST 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 11:34:33AM +0100, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're experiencing terrible problems with cups.  We currently have two
> print queues, one is a hp network laserjet 2300, the other is a HP DeskJet
> 845C hooked to a thin client.
>
> Twice this week, all print queues stopped spooling to the printer.
> Restarting cups makes no difference, clearing the queues doesn't change
> anything either.

Have you tried re-enabling them with cupsenable?

We have this problem from time to time.  Seemingly, cups tries to be
"smart", and if it doesn't hear things from the printer while printing,
it can disable the printer, thinking it's dead or offline.  Sometimes,
during busy print jobs, printers will place a higher priority on the
printing stuff than talking on the network, resulting in a false
disable.

Give that a try the next time it happens.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "Looking beyond the embers of bridges glowing behind us
Systems Department |  To a glimpse of how green it was on the other side..."