failure to mount root by thin client

Jim McQuillan jam at McQuil.com
Sat Sep 23 20:55:34 BST 2006

Jordan,

Try adding the thin clients to your /etc/hosts file.

The format would be like this:

   192.168.0.1   ws001
   192.168.0.2   ws002

Add entries for each workstation.

My theory is that mountd on the server would like to have a hostname to
go along with the IP address of the terminal making the mount request.

Normally, when the server has internet access, and the workstation
boots, mountd on the server tries to resolve a name to go with the IP
address of the thin client by sending out a request to the upstream DNS
server.

Of course the upstream dns servers don't have that information, so they
respond quickly that they don't know.  mountd goes ahead and deals with
the fact that it doesn't have a name to go with the IP address.

BUT, when you don't have internet access, the reverse DNS request is
made, but is never satisfied.  Eventually, mountd gives up, but the
mount request from the thin client has already timed out and gives the
error that you see.

By adding the entries to the /etc/hosts file, mountd will get an answer
immediatly, and never bother sending a request to the upstream dns server.

At least that's my theory of what's happening, and fortunately, it's
easy to test by adding the entries to /etc/hosts.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org