printers on thin clients

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 14:11:54 BST 2006

Hi,

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Clay Berlo wrote:

> I'm sure Oliver will get around to telling you, but printing (and local device
> access) are being worked on.  Last estimate I got was around October it should
> be ready to go.  I think your method should help me with the same problem I was
> having, so I might implement it myself as an interim solution.  I don't know
> how compatible this is with how Oliver is puttin things together, though.

I'll have a go at this early next week.  I think it should be possible to
write a shell script which runs on thin client boot and does something very
simple and hackish like this (untested):

#!/bin/sh

case $PRINTER_0_TYPE in
	U)
		echo "Starting lp_server for USB printer $PRINTER_0_DEV"
		lp_server -d $PRINTER_0_DEV &
	;;
	P)
		echo "Starting lp server for parallel printer $PRINTER_0_DEV"
		lp_server -d $PRINTER_0_DEV &
	;;
	*)
		echo "No printers found"
	;;
esac

This is just a crappy hack, it doesn't deal with all sorts of issues like
multiple printers, cleanly stopping on reboot of the thin client, etc.  But
if it gets us by, that's good for me.  I promised a school that thin
clients could have printers :-)