disable hibernate and keymap on thin clients

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 19:22:21 BST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> no, i did test it during dapper development only ... at this time g-p-m
> wasnt a hard dependency of gnome-session ... i'm very sorry for the
> confusion this caused...

Oh well.  Unfortunately I haven't managed to get the gconf fix to work as
yet.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I've placed a file in:

  /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory/apps/gnome-power-manager/%gconf.xml

but it doesn't seem to have done the job.

I must admit I'm slightly confused about how this actually happens.  I
would have thought regular users permissions should be insufficient to
reboot or hibernate the machine.  I presume some setuid root program or
some process running as root (maybe the display manager?) takes a signal
from gnome and starts the hibernation.  If this is so, what is the root
process?  It seems flawed to rely on gnome to respect /etc/gconf/ as surely
the user can circumvent this.

> i wrote a patch for edgys gnome-power-manager package today that fixes
> the issue, i will check if it applies cleanly to the dapper package and
> push an update for this issue as well as for the usplash caused login
> manager problem ...

Sounds good.