grub fails after install onto md raid

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 15:22:52 BST 2006

Hi,

I went to install Edubuntu 6.06 on a server this week and decided to use
software RAID.  I have had pretty poor experiences in recent times with
hardware RAID and I badly need the reliability provided by RAID1 so MD
seemed like the thing to choose.

All seemed to go swimmingly.  I created 3 software RAID1 partitions
(/,/var,/home) and the install proceeded.  Then the server rebooted and
grub died saying it couldn't read the partition type.  This is wierd as
I've used the debian sarge installer to do exactly this with no problems.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a simple way to rescue grub?