Presentation and LTSP support request

Daniel J. Summers daniel at djs-consulting.com
Mon Nov 6 03:36:00 GMT 2006

Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 05 Nov 2006, Daniel J. Summers wrote:
>

>>> 2/ In my AMD I have only one network card. Edubuntu 6.10 claims to run
>>> Out-of-the-box on a server with two cards. Is this mandatory ? I don't
>>> want to add a card in my AMD if not needed.
>>>

>> I believe that it is required.  The problem comes in with DHCP - your
>> Linksys router likely provides a DHCP server, and your AMD box gets its
>> IP address from that router.  To boot, the LTSP clients need to obtain a
>> DHCP lease from the LTSP box - in your current configuration, though,
>> they would get their address from the wireless router.  Also, your AMD
>> box cannot be a DHCP server and a DHCP client across the same physical
>> connection.  With two network cards, one is the server interface (to
>> handle connections to the thin clients), and one is a client interface
>> (allowing access to the Internet connection for all connected devices).
>>

> You can certainly run with a single network card (dealing with two network
> cards is a recently added feature not a requirement).  However, the above
> DHCP problem can be solved by simply disabling the dhcp server on the
> router -- which is fairly simple to do.  I'd suggest setting it a static ip
> of 192.168.0.1 and letting your other machines inhabit the remaining space.
>
> This is exactly what our network does.

So the wireless router becomes 192.168.0.1, and you tell the Edubuntu
server (ES) to use that as the gateway?  Interesting...  Would the
wireless connections still work - i.e., they'll connect through the
router, but get their Internet access through the server (which would
make the ES a proxy server)?  Or, does the DHCP server on the ES tell
them to go straight to 192.168.0.1 for Internet stuff?  I'd really be
interested in this setup for my house - we're going to start
home-schooling in the near future, and I'd like to have ES running to
take advantage of it's features.  :)  I still have a switch on order for
the school I'm setting up, because they only have 3 ports in their
wireless router, and they're all full.

I'd really be interested in that proxy server setup for the school I'm
setting up, though - I'm sure they don't want wide-open Internet access
in their classrooms.  (And, I understand that with thin clients, most of
those restrictions would be placed on the user.)

> One solution to this as Dan described is to plug the thin client network
> card into a wireless access point -- so the link is over wireless but you
> still have a PXE capable network card.

That's not quite what I was suggesting - but that's an interesting way
to do it that I hadn't thought of.  :)  Thanks for that!

Daniel