Presentation and LTSP support request

Daniel J. Summers daniel at djs-consulting.com
Sun Nov 5 13:46:04 GMT 2006

Cedric Janssens wrote:
> I'd like to install Edubuntu at home for my children.
>
> Here is a little view of my network :
>
> http://www.panamedia.be/imgforums/MyNetwork01.png
>
> Edubuntu is installed on the AMD 2500+ and should run via LTSP on the
> two old P-II
>
> 1/ I think the configs on P-II are strong enough to support this, aren't they ?

They should be.
> 2/ In my AMD I have only one network card. Edubuntu 6.10 claims to run
> Out-of-the-box on a server with two cards. Is this mandatory ? I don't
> want to add a card in my AMD if not needed.

I believe that it is required.  The problem comes in with DHCP - your
Linksys router likely provides a DHCP server, and your AMD box gets its
IP address from that router.  To boot, the LTSP clients need to obtain a
DHCP lease from the LTSP box - in your current configuration, though,
they would get their address from the wireless router.  Also, your AMD
box cannot be a DHCP server and a DHCP client across the same physical
connection.  With two network cards, one is the server interface (to
handle connections to the thin clients), and one is a client interface
(allowing access to the Internet connection for all connected devices).

> 3/ I don't find on the web site, neither on the wiki, neither in the
> archives of the mailing lists what I have to do to make it running.

I recently built a box and booted my wife's computer off the network,
using two wireless routers (one made to be just a switch).  If you want,
you have the hardware to do what you need to do, provided a second NIC
is put in the AMD.  It looks like the AMD's connection to the router is
wired, through the hub.  Change this to go straight to the Linksys
router.  Then, plug the second NIC into the hub.  At this point, the AMD
is now performing the network control functions for the computers
plugged into the hub that the Linksys router was before.  The two thin
clients should boot from the AMD, and I believe (haven't verified this
yet) that the AMD will also provide network services for other computers
that don't necessarily boot from it, but use it for their DHCP services.

Hope that helps...

Daniel