edubuntu installation with 2 network cards for ltsp server

Philippe Rousselot ubuntu at alcatorda.com
Tue Jun 20 15:15:02 BST 2006

Hi,

I have
a PC with two network cards,
a modem router (192.168.1.0/24, gateway 192.168.1.1, dhcp enable),
a thin client connected to the PC with a crossover cable.

until now I had ubuntu installed on this PC and I followed the
instructions from ubuntu website to install the ltsp server. I could get
an address for the thin client but could not go further.

I finally decided to start from scratch with edubuntu.

I followed the Getting Started page on the edubuntu website :
http://www.edubuntu.org/GettingStarted

When I arrive at the network setting, I have a small problem :

I have two network cards

eth0 connected to the thin client
eth1 connected to the modem

I have here to choose eth0 and give the properties of the main network
(with the modem). If I pick eth0 then I will not be able to make
updates, or as you probably noticed from my english, I will not be able
to install the french locale files. At least I guess so.

however on the web page it is mentioned to give the IP address
corresponding to the ltsp network.

There is an explaination missing here

does it mean :

1.  the connection to the modem is done in the background don't worry
about it. and the dhcp server from my modem will do the job.

2. setup the modem connection using the same parameter than for the ltsp
network. I find it strange

3. setup the modem and then setup manually the ltsp part.

Thanks in advance

Philippe