Reconfiguring Xorg after cloning

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Sun Jun 18 14:48:30 BST 2006

Hello all,

Is there an alternative/easier way to reconfigure X than using 'dpkg-
reconfigure xserver-xorg'?

I volunteer at a non-profit (ByteWorks[1]) which accepts donatations
of older computers, refurbishes them, and gives them to youth who
have gone through the Earn-a-Computer program.  We've been
experimenting with cloning Edubuntu on those machines and it works
fairly well.  The only time the process is a bit cumbersome is when
the video card or monitor changes.

One the dive has been imaged with the clone, our process involves
booting Edubuntu, changing to a virtual console if the video doesn't
work (Ctrl-Alt-F1), running 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg', and then
'/etc/init.d/gdm restart'.  In the extreme case where even the
keyboard doesn't work, we power off and reboot into "recovery mode".
While that process works, I was wondering if we were overlooking
another/easier way.

Thanks in advance for any help, tips, and pointers to references.

[1] http://stlouis.missouri.org/bworks/

Regards,
- Robert
robert.citek at bworks.org