Which hardware?

peter pbosman at osso.nl
Fri Jun 16 10:51:21 BST 2006

Op vr, 16-06-2006 te 10:38 +0200, schreef Jonathan Carter:
> On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 07:11 +0200, Knut Yrvin wrote:
> > So the startup time is 5-6 sec on a system with enough RAM, and the
> > main applications already used earlier on the day (stored in the temp
> > area in RAM). When the system uses swapping on disk, the performance
> > drops drastic.
>
> Your disk performance also drops down heavily, especially when users
> start Gnome or OpenOffice.org, and the disk needs access to lots of
> little files, while at the same time, it's reading/writing to swap
> that's probably at the other end of the disk. By then you're getting no
> where close to 80MB/s, and the system gets very, very sluggishly.
> Spanning swap over two disks also helps. I don't know exactly how clever
> the kernel is with spanning, and whether it will write to the disk that
> is least busy, but I've definitely seen performance improvements when
> spanning a swap file over disks.
>
> -Jonathan

A little something I didn't read anything about... When not using
compression on XDMCP and the users do a lot with moving images
(videostreams e.g.) the bandwith a single thin client can take up is ~40
Mbit /sec. It's not hard to imagine your whole network will come down if
a few users do such things simultaneously and your terminal server is
connected to the network using a 100Mbit/sec NIC.
That's why it's a whise thing to connect your terminalserver(s) etc.
using 1Gbit/sec NIC's and use a proper GBit switch for your networks
backbone.

--
Best regards/ vriendelijke groeten,

Peter Bosman
OSSO - Open Source Software Oplossingen
Internet        www.osso.nl
Bezoekadres     Nadorstplein 3, 9747AB Groningen
Postadres       Kremersheerd 86, 9737PC Groningen
Telefoon        050 5494052
Mobiel          06 45616884
E-mail          pbosman at osso.nl