Edubuntu Lite?

Mauricio Hernandez Z. mhz.chile at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 03:07:15 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 19:59 -0500, Jim McNelis wrote:
> Sorry to bother you Mauricio,
>
> Since I already have Edubuntu installed, which do you think is best?
> Install Xubuntu on top of it or just Xfce? Thanks.

Jim,

First of all, no need to apologize. You are not bothering at all. ML's
are intended for the purpose of community work/help.

If I understand correctly, Xubuntu project is meant to be as free of
GNOME libs as possible. If that is so, considering Edubuntu is totally
GNOME and KDE some-libs dependant, XFCE sounds like a wise idea IF that
really means you get less stuff to use Hard disk space. If not, then
Xubuntu is a great idea because you get to try the work of that team
(great work!) AND you also get a chance to let us all know how you feel
it.

I'd say, that XFCE should feel a little faster than Xubuntu itself,
because Xubuntu is aimed to provide more stuff for the end-user, just
like any Ubuntu flavour does. That implies, you get automounting stuff,
default apps. that may not perform fast enough on some machines, etc.

In my case, I decided to give xubuntu a try because I am in the middle
of an anoying decision: I have old hardware I use to work with and so I
could happily live with wmaker or fluxbox or icewm, BUT all the people
(teachers and students) I show Ubuntu stuff want 'auto-magic' things and
eyecandies. So, Xubuntu, Edubuntu (for very short presentations where I
only open 1 application at a time) and Enlightenment (esp. Elive
metadistro) are the weapons I use to show off a little, using very cool
and user-friendly desktops in 500 MHZ Celeron + 256 MB of RAM. (10
inches laptop).

Bottom line, you have to cross that bridge alone and see by yourself :D

--
Mauricio Hernandez Z.
www.edubuntu.org

www.fetchile.cl

Cel: (56+8) 749 6071

| servidor: irc.freenode.net     |
| canal: #edubuntu, #edubuntu-es |
| nick: mhz                      |

[Mail escrito sin caracteres especiales para
evitar incompatbilidades entre clientes de correo]

[Para que enviar adjuntos propietarios, si podemos
enviar adjuntos mas livianos y libres?]
[Por favor, evita enviarme .doc .xls .ppt]