Problem with WMV plugngs

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 02:12:56 BST 2006

On 7/19/06, Danny Richardson <k6mhe at k6mhe.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to install some mulltimedia Plugins for playing WMV movie
> files.
>
> I've found the instructions for adding these on several places on
> the web. Each includes the step of installing "w32codecs". That operation
> fails every time. With an error message stating the file is not available.
>
> Can anyone offer some guidance here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Danny

Hey Danny,

w32 codecs is a package of binary Windows codecs for various
multimedia codecs such as Real and WMV9. Its legality is seriously
questionable, due to copyright and patent concerns. However, it is
currently the only way to play WMV9 on Linux. For more information on
how to install w32codecs, please see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats#head-6c942d1939d97331f96e42b63774003fde7daed5

Note that w32codecs requires either the gstreamer pitdfll plugin or
the xine engine to work. The default movie player in Edubuntu is
totem, which uses gstreamer.

Corey