LTSP Client Tweaks Needed

Clay Berlo clay.berlo at dsbn.edu.on.ca
Mon Jul 10 20:58:17 BST 2006

I've been working with the Edubuntu LTSP for the past couple of weeks
and so far, I have to say it's been a very nice experience.  Some
things, I understand, are still in development and will appear over time
(like local device access and such).  For the most part, the server I'm
running is working quite well.

I do have an issue or two, though, and one revolves around the Thin
Client hostname.  I can't seem to get a hostname assigned to any client,
and therefore can't implement local devices myself (there are plenty of
instructions to get this working if I can get a hostname assigned).  As
has been mentioned in a previous post on this list, all the client
displays is "//ltsp" after booting.

Another issue I have is trying to make use of pam_mount to mount Windows
shares at login.  I've managed to get winbind authentication to work and
can login members of an Active Directory setup with automatically
created home directories (which works rather nicely, I might add).
Mounting their "usual" personal shares from the Windows server seems to
be giving me a headache.  Part of the problem seems to be with LDM and
it's use of SSH, which I have tried to work around from a variety of
Debian and non-Debian sources, to no avail.

An issue I have not yet tackled, but that I'm sure I'll need direction
with, is assigning different printers per user, if this is possible.

But first things first...  Can anyone suggest how to get pam_mount to
mount my shares with the "default" LDM setup in Edubuntu?

Thanks in advance,

~Clay
--
Clay Berlo <clay.berlo at dsbn.edu.on.ca>