Unable To Upgrade to Dapper Drake

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 3 03:09:12 BST 2006

Hi Chris,

On 7/3/06, Chris Meissen <cmeissen at centurytel.net> wrote:
> I've got two computers on which I've been running Edubuntu 5.10 since
> before last Christmas. One is "mine," the other is my daughter's.  Mine
> is a Sempron 2400 with 128M RAM and my daughter's is a Duron 1.1GHz with
> 128M RAM.

First of all, thank you for supporting Edubuntu! I assume you
installed this using the workstation version right?

> When Dapper Drake was released, I chose the "upgrade" option in the
> update/upgrade manager and the operation proceeded smoothly on my
> Sempron machine. When I try the same on my daughter's machine, the
> process halts on step four with the message, "Unable to Calculate the
> Upgrade."  It then restores the system to its previous state and exits
> from the upgrade manager.

This is an issue with Update-manager. I looked at Malone and noticed
you have filed Bug #50172 (I assume its yours looking at the bug
description). There's also a pending bug for it, Bug #46250.

Since its Update-Manager, I'll look into it as well and get Michael's
help on it too.

> I regret that I'm too much of a newbie to know what to do to try to
> resolve this problem.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

For the meantime, are you able to upgrade to dapper using Aptitude or
Synaptic? You will have to change entries in your sources.list before
doing the upgrade.

Best,

Jerome

--