Edubuntu in an existing network

François BARILLON francois.barillon at free.fr
Wed Dec 20 14:40:40 GMT 2006

Hello,

I finaly found what was wrong :
"ps aux | grep dhcp" showed that the dhcpd was not working.

After a network card configuration I could start "dhcpd" again.

What was to do : install an Edubuntu server in a formation room with 10
computer on Windows Xp, a router,a teacher computer with a video
projector... and a Windows server 2003.
We installed Edubuntu in dual boot on the teacher computer (fixed IP
192.168.1.25, gateway to the router, dhcp addresses from 192.168.1.200
to 192.168.1.240).

Commands used :
    Administration > Network
    sudo gedit /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf
    sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server start
    sudo gedit /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf
    (for french keyboard : XKBLAYOUT=fr)

    We had to "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" to get 1024*728
default resolution (instead of to high 1600*1200).

The Windows server has IP 192.168.1.250 dhcp addresses from
192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199.

On the other computers, we enabled network boot.

------

What is working now :

- in normal boot, computers get an IP address from the Windows server.

- in network boot they get an IP and kernel from the Edubuntu.

- Windows computers, Edubuntu server and thin clients can access to
internet

- Sound is working on the thin clients, usb keys can mount, ntfs
partition on the server and on the thin clients are mounted (read only),
CD inserted on the Edubuntu server are mounted on the thin client.

- The "Student control panel" shows users on the thin clients, we can
send them messages, start or kill apps...

- thin clients booting, connection, user change, stop button are working
fast and properly).

------

What is not solved yet :

- trying to use VNC "vncviewer 192.168.1.240:0" or "vncviewer
edubuntu:0" gets and error "read error : connection reset by peer (104)"
although the user has enabled the connection.
    - Is a vnc-server daemon running on thin clients?
    - Is it a problem or firewall?

- in the thin clients login screen, we'd like to see "identifiant" in
french instead of "username".

- We can see local CD/DVD devices but medias are not mounted.

- We could test Samba sharing...

------

Finaly : I'm very glad of what is working right now !

François