xdmcp

Jim McQuillan jam at McQuil.com
Fri Dec 1 12:54:02 GMT 2006

LDM is really nothing more than a GUI wrapper front-end to ssh.  It then
tunnels all X traffic through SSH.

Edubuntu can also support XDMCP.  You just need to enable remote
connections via XDMCP in the "login screen' config applet.

There's good reasons for both LDM and XDMCP.  You'll find that with LDM,
tunneling through SSH, that you'll run out of server horsepower much
earlier.  It seems people get up to about 30 clients and then the
performance degrades too much.  Whereas with XDMCP, you can run over 100
clients on the same server hardware.  All that encrypting of the data
imposes quite a penalty on performance.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org