Xorg resource management?

Michael Steigerwald mikesteigerwald at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 21:47:51 BST 2006

Hi, all,

After five years in Windows purgatory, I am now back in the land of Linux
network administration. I could use some help reacquainting myself with
resource management.

I just installed Edubuntu 6.06 on a client machine (Dell Latitude D600,
FWIW) about a month ago. It blazed for about two weeks, but has lately
slowed to a crawl within about two hours after a reboot. Even screen refresh
can take up to sixty seconds.

According to System Monitor, the CPU is about 100% busy. The Xorg process is
claiming 80% of the CPU on average when that happens. It may just be a
coincidence, but it seems to get worse with more Firefox tabs open,
anecdotally, at least. Quitting Firefox altogether only helps a little. The
only reliable solution is a reboot.

Xorg is an essential process to KDE, isn't it? What might cause it to run
amok?

TIA

--
Michael Steigerwald