AMD64 as server...but LTSP clients complain about not being amd64?

guillermo gromerotw at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 23 02:03:15 BST 2006

Hello
You've put forward a great question. When I first
installed edubuntu on an AMD64 I face the same
problem. All my thin clients are 368, what can I do?
It's suppose that LTSP is going to work on old thin
clients.
Luckily the solution is very simple. All you have to
do is reinstall LTSP (Download it from the LTSP home
page).
/opt/ltsp/i386        Here should be your new
installation
/tftpboot/lts         the boot files.
I'm using vmlinuz-2.6.17.3-ltsp-1 not pxelinux.0

Correct /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf to your new settings
filename "/lts/vmlinuz-2.6.17.3-ltsp-1";
option root-path "192.168.1.1:/opt/ltsp/i386";

Edit /etc/inetd.conf
Look for the line
tftp           dgram   udp     wait    root
/usr/sbin/in.tftpd /usr/sbin/in.tftpd -s
/var/lib/tftpboot

comment this line(#) or correct it to:
tftp           dgram   udp     wait    root
/usr/sbin/in.tftpd /usr/sbin/in.tftpd -s /tftpboot

Reset your PC. I don't know how to activate this
service manually.

Use ltspcfg (/usr/sbin)
 Create /etc/exports entries
Create /etc/hosts entries
Create lts.conf file

sudo gdmsetup
remote->style->same as local

Reboot your pcs server and the client and log in.
In spite of little problems it's working fine for me.
The real situation is a classroom with 8 pcs, all
working with edubuntu. The oldest client is a celeron
266.
May be there are better ways to do this. I would like
to hear from that.