putting using a default lts.conf in edubuntu edgy

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 17 17:11:45 BST 2006

On Do, 2006-08-17 at 11:00 -0400, Jim McQuillan wrote:

> > LOCALDEV=True (local devices by default ... depends on having the
> > swapspace mentioned above for ower specced hardware)
> >
> I agree with everything except this last one.  We've always told people
> that local devices are disabled by default, because lots of people don't
> want to allow users to copy data to removeable drives.  It's a security
> thing for them.  Requiring the sysadmin to turn this feature on, if needed
> is no big deal in my opinion.
> ALthough, I admit that it could be argued that it makes sense in an
> educational environment to turn it on by default.
well, its on by default in K12LTSP, i'm not talking about ubuntu ltsp in
general, only the edubuntu setup after a fresh installation of edgy.
as long as we have no gui like LTSPManager to enable it and the admin
needs to edit a file for the most requested feature we have, i'd rather
leave it to the sysadmin to control it through adding/removing a user
from/to the fuse group (there is even a nice gui way in edubuntu ;))
additionally scott and i just discussed gconf integration for finer
grained user settings via pessulus ;))

dont forget that the majority of edubuntus sysadmins will be teachers ;)