The road to 12.10 and beyond

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 27 14:29:28 UTC 2012

Hi Tom

On 26/04/2012 15:10, Tom Hoffman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)
> <jonathan at ubuntu.com>  wrote:
>
>> Around 2005/2006, in the stone age of Edubuntu, we used to have an Edubuntu
>> Server product. It shipped with tools such as Schooltool and Moodle
>> pre-installed. The idea was that an Edubuntu server could be a useful
>> single-server solution in some educational environments.
>
> SchoolTool 2.0's new interface, released in November, has been very
> well received.  The 2.1 release is in precise universe, so you can now
> see it with apt-get install schooltool.
>
> We'll be happy to participate in getting a new Edubuntu Server off the ground.

Thanks, it's much appreciated! I haven't tried out the new Schooltool
interface yet, but I've seen some screenshots and it looks realy slick.

On the server topic, I came across this specification this morning for
Zentyal integration for Edubuntu:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-edubuntu-zentyal-integration

I'm really happy for the enthusiasm and support we already have for the
server idea, Alkis mentioned some good ideas on IRC yesterday too
regarding how we could add on to LTSP for a disk cloning solution.

Really looking forward to seeing how it will turn out for 12.10!

-Jonathan