Sabayon and Unity Interface

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Tue May 31 21:09:02 UTC 2011

Hey Steve--glad to hear of your success with the pure thin clients and that
it's working for your teachers.  A month ago Jonathan posted this blog post:
http://jonathancarter.org/2011/05/10/whats-happening-in-edubuntu-for-oneiric/and
towards the bottom of that post is the following quote:
Big Hairy Audacious Goals
If our goal is to bring the best of educational free software available
together in one easy to install system then I think this release will get us
there, but where to next? We want to grow the Edubuntu community but we
can’t do that unless we add some new and exciting things to our to do list.
One thing that has come up over and over again and that I bought up in the
UDS session but we got no answer for is in which direction we should start
going next.

I would call this a 'request-for-visions' and thank Jonathan for asking for
it (thanks Jonathan ;))  As a 'big hairy audacious goals', something
exciting and motivating, even inspirational for us Edubuntistas would be to
focus on the System.

The biggest difference between a beautifully working car and one stuck on
the side of the road isn't mainly the parts--most of the parts are similar
or even identical between the working and non-working.  The big difference
is ONE of those parts in the 'dead' car is not working.  I'm proposing that
we focus on creating a great system--where every (essential) part is
working.  That means figuring out the key parts, making sure that each one
of those parts works.  That is the most bottom line--each part has to work.
In a system it doesn't matter if you have the best and greatest part--say an
engine--if any one of the other parts--say the brakes--are flaky.  This
would produce a death machine--not a nice car.

So, Steve, I'm agreeing with you that we need Sabayon working (it is a
critical part).  And I'm raising you 1: let's figure out the essential parts
of Edubuntu and make them ALL work--let's focus on the system.  What do you
(all) think?

David