Sugar in Edubuntu 11.04

Guillaume Ardaud guillaume.ardaud at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 01:55:52 UTC 2011

David,

Thanks for your thorough answer!

I am quite familiar with Sugar, and agree with you on the pertinence of some
of its concepts and mechanisms (notably the journal, etc.) in the context of
education/the classroom.

My main objection, however, is that Edubuntu does not share these
mechanisms, thus creating a marked gap between what a user experiences when
using Sugar compared to what he normally experiences using Edubuntu; and in
the end, I believe that this creates a subpar user experience.

What is the utility of having Gnome as the Edubuntu UI for most activities,
and then having Sugar as an intermediary UI for a subset of activities? In
an ideal system, we either have everything integrated with Gnome, or
everything integrated with the Sugar UI, but it does not make much sense to
me to have these 2 distinct layers.

It just occurred to me that perhaps you were talking about bringing the
journal, telepathy sessions, etc. to Edubuntu as a whole, in which case my
point is moot; and I believe such a direction would be worthy.

Ultimately however, any efforts in that direction would be useful somehow; I
just think that these concerns are worth considering. In any case, it is
definitely something worth exploring; as you said, there is no reason for
Ubuntu to keep lagging in the domain of Sugar integration.

Guillaume