Fwd: [moodle-packaging] Time to Orphan?

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Wed May 19 13:27:40 UTC 2010

Hi Jeremy, Dan, Penny and others

On 12/03/2010 13:27, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> I also don't have the skill to complete the 1.9 packaging. I'm
> forwarding this to the Edubuntu developers as moodle has been part of
> their suite for a while.

Posting this to edubuntu-devel too, but will probably continue on the
debian list[1] to avoid continual cross-posting.

We discussed this before and during the Ubuntu Developer Summit last
week. We considered the possibility of having a moodle-tools kind of
package that installs and aids in maintaining a Moodle installation
rather than doing a packaged version. However, we ended up deciding that
the benefits of a packaged Moodle system to our users is much greater.

I'm interested in doing Moodle packaging work in Debian, and others have
also shown interest. Would it be possible from the current maintainers
to give an overview of the current packaging, what the current problems
are and what needs to be done so that we have an idea where to take off?
We'll also need sponsoring in Debian since we're not Debian Maintainers
(yet). It would be great if we could have some kind of Q&A session on
IRC or somewhere.

thanks!

-Jonathan