GUI for Ubuntu Server?

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 08:55:48 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Josef Tupag wrote:

> Hi guys, I'm very new to Ubuntu. Here at work we are planning to install
> Ubuntu Server. We wanted to know if Ubuntu Server comes with a GUI or is it
> only text mode?
>
> Thanks for the help, I have been looking for this answer for hours.

The answer may not be there as the question is a bit nebulous.  There are
many possible GUIs and whether they are installed is just a question of
what packages you choose.

By default, the normal Ubuntu server is generally command line only (which
is how I prefer a server, personally).  However, installing UI components
can be done quite easily.  Perhaps the easiest thing to do, once you have
the basic install done is to install the ubuntu-desktop package:

	sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

This will install xorg, gnome and the various other components needed for
the standard graphical environment.  I wouldn't particularly recommend this
on most servers, but it's available to you if need be.

Gavin