Ideas and support for a new Edubuntu based Portal Server

Jörg Sawatzki joerg.sawatzki at web.de
Sun Jan 24 15:30:34 UTC 2010

Hey folks,

after talking to some people in #edubuntu on freenode, I thought it
might be a good idea to share my thoughts and ideas with you on this
mailinglist as well.

First of all, my name is Jörg and I am freelancing as a software
developer here in the Northwest of Germany. I mostly work for the
regional media centre and the state's government to develop new ways to
use the internet and new technologies in schools. A lot of schools here
are running some proprietary portal server which is not only quite
expensive but lacks a lot features and simply isn't "state of the art"
anymore (check out www.iserv.eu if you speak German).

I have written a short blueprint for a new open source project that I'd
like to start and would like to ask you to review it and give me your
thoughts, ideas and feedback:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-portal-server

Any mental and material help is highly appreciated :o)

Wanted:
- ideas, feedback, critical opinions
- an Edubuntu development and playground server
- testers
- help with the core development
- module developers
- whatever you think is worth contributing ;)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers,

Jörg