Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 25 18:11:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-24 at 09:18 -0700, Stefan Nuxoll wrote:
> Why would you check any of this in kernel. You have access to all the
> information to do this wthout.
>
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 08:23, derleader __ <derleader at abv.bg> wrote:
>          Hi,
>              I'm developing C plugin for Edubuntu which will be
>         installed as kernel module. The problem is how to collect the
>         data about:
>               * CPU Check – Utilization, Model, Number of Cores

ps aux / uptime / /proc/cpuinfo

>               * RAM Check – Total Memory, Free Memory, Memory Load

free / /proc/meminfo

>               * HDD Check – Number of physical HDDs, Number of logical
>                 partitions, Total space, Free space

cat /proc/partitions / df

>               * Running processes – Total number of processes

ps aux | wc -l

>               * Logs – system logs such as error logs

/var/log/syslog

>               * System uptime

uptime / /proc/loadavg

>               * Users logged in and last login – total list of users

w / who/ ck-list-sessions

>               * Total network connections

netstat

>               * Check hardware parts model and number

Check the DMI, example: dmidecode

>         The kernel module will check the status of the OS every 5
>         minutes. What is the most efficient way to collect these data?
>
>         Regards
>         Peter

I'd strongly suggest to look for an existing tool that does that, like
the log viewer + system monitor of gnome. There's probably a lot of CLI
tools doing something similar already and it might be interesting
contributing to those instead of writing one more.

Writing it as a kernel module seems to me like a very bad idea as you'll
need a userspace tool to read whatever the kernel module will be probing
anyway. All the information you need is available in userspace, so it'll
be easier and safer to run your tool as a userspace tool.

Hope it helps

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer