My ideas for Ubuntu 10.10 (maverick)

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 20 10:03:20 UTC 2010

Hi Jordan

On 19/04/2010 18:39, Jordan Mantha wrote:
>> Moodle's maintenance isn't currently that great, imho we should probably
>> catch up on what's been going on in Debian and merge efforts there.
>
> The last emails I got from the Moodle maintainers in Debian was that
> the were considering orphaning it. In the past with these kinds of PHP
> web apps (wordpress, drupal, moodle, etc.) I've wondering if the best
> thing to do is not package them but provide good documentation
> instead. They seem constantly out of date and quite difficult to
> maintain. It's too bad too because Moodle is such a useful app for
> people :(

Yep, I checked last night and the package has indeed been orphaned. I
think you have a very good point, especially considering that some of
these php web apps such as Wordpress can be updated from within the app
(probably faster than any packager could get it into an archive).

The only drawback I can think of is that we wouldn't be able to supply
Moodle in a server meta-package, but perhaps there could be some kind of
moodle-tools package that would download and set it up (perhaps with
some cron jobs or something that could do some semi-automatic updating).

-Jonathan